Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Gap: An Introduction

The gender gap, which so many men and women fought to lessen in the 1970s, still exists. Different studies and reports conclude a woman makes 77 to 80 cents for every dollar a man makes for doing the same work. What makes it okay to pay a woman less who is of equal qualification and ability?

This is a question many women should be asking.

Feminists fought for equality and advocacy for women's rights. Even with the passing of Title VII and Title IX, the disparity still exists. Equal treatment for women is being challenged, but no one is listening. Why? There is little voice of concern. Women are not fighting a battle for equal rights. Women are sitting on the sidelines, perhaps, unaware this phenomena still exists.

I do not claim to be an expert on this topic, but through my studies I feel I am more accustomed to looking for the signs of this inequality. What I have learned from many talented, experienced professors is that this still exists and many people do not recognize it does. Nor are they aware of the information readily available detailing and showcasing the need for knowledge and the need for action.

This blog is a project for me. I am finishing the last class in my sequence of study on gender, and I do not want the knowledge I learned to slip away with time. So I propose to exercise what I have learned, present articles I have read, and comments I have received to hit on major topics impacting women today.

With knowledge, you may not be able to sit idly on the sidelines. Get involved, know what is out there and act to make tomorrow better for your daughters and granddaughters like our mothers and grandmothers did for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment